Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Happy Places

There are only a few places in the world that are one of my "happy places". First, what is my classification for a happy place? A place that makes me feel at home the moment I'm there, and a place that I never want to leave! Here's my list.
1. Yankee Candle Flagship Store-Deerfield, MA- I've been visiting this particular Yankee since I was under a year old. Every year since I was born, my family has taken our Christmas picture there that goes with our Christmas cards. There is an in-door Bavarian village, a model train winter wonderland where it snows every 5 minutes, and a recent addition, but still awesome, kitchen & home center! I could live there forever!
2. Longwood Gardens- Kennett Square, PA- Ahhhh, flower year round, and not just any old flowers but every species in the world. They have adorable bonzai trees, a water lily garden (some of the lily pads are as big as a tractor tire.), an in-door looking pool, Italian water gardens, and so much more! I could spend hours & hours just enjoying the weather and the scenery.
3. The souks in Bourj Hammoud and Byblos- Lebanon- I could just roam here forever! So many little shops (souks in Arabic) to explore and to socialize in. I met many interesting people as I shopped! I met a very posh, Austrian woman who's Lebanese husband owned a shop, and also a poor, nomadic tanner who was selling sheep skin accessories.
4. The Lourve- Paris, France- There is so many little rooms with paintings, sculpture and just architecture to explore. Many people forget that before it was a museum it was a palace to the kings of France before Versailles was built. The scrollwork in the marble walls is art in and of itself. (Just a little tip: don't worry about seeing the Mona Lisa up-close, it's tiny as anything and you can see and appreciate it better from afar. Instead look at the wall across from Mona, and take a gander at one of the largest Renaissance masterpieces-The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci
5. Pont Neuf- Paris, France- A lovely bridge, metro stop, and shopping area. The cafe's there are delightful! One in fact called Café Restaurant Le Sarah Bernhardt Sté, was one of the best cafe's I have ever been to! The staff was very friendly and treated us kindly even though we were American's!
This is just a few of my happy places...How about you? What are some of your happy places in the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment